Re. Announcement

Nice announcement Yayzi - you’re putting the others to shame!!

On this topic then, by my understanding my 900+ service should get a bit of a speed boost, up to 1.2Gb? If so, can you advise when this is likely to take place please? As I’m still flip-flopping between this and VM while I mess about testing new infrastructure and need two WAN connections, it would be good to get my Yayzi speed up to that of VM on the downloads. Currently on Yayzi, I get around 850Mb down compared to 1.11Gb on VM’s DOCSIS so would be nice to get closer to this!

Cheers.
Keeop

Drop us a DM on here with your name and address and I’ll take a look for you :slightly_smiling_face:

All gone a bit quiet on the messaging front!

My main question is still unanswered and will affect a lot of users so would be good to keep this going on here. So, are users on the 900+ service going to get a slight speed boost by being placed on a 1.2Gb ‘line’, as that is what is inferred in the press release?

Cheers.
Keeop

Hi Keeop,

So all new customers coming in on the 900 Plus service, will have a multi-gig ONT installed and with a line speed of 1.2Gbps (this will be limited by the router as it only has a 1Gb port) but it will allow people to move to the MultiGig products without needing another engineering appointment.

Existing customers will also get a change to the ONT but this will take a bit longer as an engineer will need to be booked and it would have some downtime, so if you want this upgrade its best to email hello [at] yayzi.co.uk and we’ll make sure you’re a priority.

Thanks,
Liam

Nice that new installs will have a multi-gig ONT. However, am I right in thinking it’s different ONTs for GPON versus XGS-PON?

So presumably no mid-contract upgrading from GPON to XGS-PON? Or do CityFibre have a good story for this?

My understanding is that in XGS-PON areas, Cityfibre should be using XGS-PON capable ONTs, but that’s not always happening. You can take out a 30 day contract and it usually takes a week or two to get an appointment so you won’t be stuck in any case.

Is there a list of which ONTs are which?

AAISP has a good list - CityFibre ONT - AAISP Support Site

1 Like

There are three:

Calix GigaPoint 801G - 1GB down /1GB up
Calix GP1000g - 2GB down /1GB up
Calix GP1100X - 2.5GB down / 2.5 GB up

The question I would like to know is. If you have a GPON line. Will it work with the Calix GP1100x to save a whole lot of hassle when the street is updated to XGS-PON

And if it does. How can you get your hands on a Calix GP1100x?

Yes it works fine with GPON however Cityfibre will unfortunately fit whatever they have on the van on that day if they aren’t actually provisioning a service faster than 1gbps there and then.

I tried to have this same argument with them (I’m in an XGS-PON area, 1gbps being provisioned but told them I’d be moving to a faster service as soon as it was available) and they fitted an 801G and had to come back 3 weeks later to fit the 1100X.

I tried to have this same argument with them (I’m in an XGS-PON area, 1gbps being provisioned but told them I’d be moving to a faster service as soon as it was available) and they fitted an 801G and had to come back 3 weeks later to fit the 1100X.

lol, I was precisely wondering about this. Okay, I guess there’s no point trying to avoid an ONT swap, if they’ll just install whatever (compatible) ONT they have in the van.

If they come with an older one can you not tell them to go away and come back with the correct one?

Nope. They will fit one appropriate for the service being provisioned. There’s nothing wrong with the older ones except that they can only do 1gbps max. If they are there to install a service faster than that then you won’t get an 801G.

You forgot the Nokia XS-010X-Q - CF have signed a 10 year deal with Nokia so Calix options are likely to be phased out once stock is used up.