VLAN Tagging not supported

Upon looking up a new router which i may purchase to use with Yayzi its showing as neither of these support VLAN tagging. doers this mean they wont work with this service? See attachedpic

That seems odd. The GT-AX6000 does have VLAN tagging (in the 802.1q section of the WAN settings) but yes, VLAN tagging is required to connect to Yayzi. I have the GT-AX6000 and it’s a good router

1 Like

Yes i know. If anyone else has either of these router and use it with Yayzi can you let me know if and how good they work. and i am open to other recommendations

I’m not an ASUS fan, but the AXE16000 runs a fork of OpenWRT (hint: If you have to use an ASUS product, use the Merlin firmware here if one exists for your router (basically needs to be a Mediatek chipset), and OpenWRT 100% supports VLAN tagging, even the stock ASUS firmware contains the option.

If you want other suggestions, I personally prefer to split routing, switching and wifi as it makes it easy to upgrade or expand a specific area efficiently and cheaply rather than buying an expensive AIO device, but I accept i’m not ‘typical’. In terms of an AIO SoC like your ASUS, the Flint 2 is the closest thing you’ll find. It can run vanilla OpenWRT and they’re moving towards a custom image now, but if you’ve already got the ASUS and are outside the return window, then you’re probably going to find it easier to stick as you are.

1 Like

I haven’t signed up to Yayzi yet was doing some research so the router that comes with the service doesn’t support vlan tagging? what routers are people using? I was thinking of moving to OPNsense

No, if you go with the Yayzi supplied router, this does support the vLAN tagging. Would be a bit nuts otherwise!

the router that comes with the 2GB service is a EX820v?

This is from the manual of the EX820v:

1 Like

Yes the supplied router does support vlsn tagging.

2 Likes

is this vlan tagging on the local LAN? (not wan)

Ah, you want to create local vLANs. I can’t answer that to be honest. Here’s a link to the manual so you can have a trawl through - https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2024/202402/20240206/1910020938_BBA%20VoIP%20Router_UG_REV1.0.0.pdf. I have been using Opnsense and a UDM SE so I have no issues with creating local vLANs on either of those. But, sorry, not sure on the TP Link.

2 Likes

I am thinking of also using OPNsense I don’t the tp-link will do all the things I want. My plan was to build my own OPNsense router on old PC with 10GB network cards.

Have you done any testing,? One 10g NIC out to the internet, one 10g with vlans to your network?

Will the pc BUS be capable?
Are you using an SSD drive?
Where’s the processing done for the NIC ? Dedicated chip onboard.

Where will it bottleneck.

1 Like