What router for the 2Gb service?

Hi,

First post, so be gentle lol

What router is sent out to new contracts for the 2Gb servvice?
Is it the EX820v or the AX6000 Wi-Fi 6 ?
Or something else even

Thanks
Lawrence

2 Likes

For the 2gb service it’s that router the EX820v or the AX6000 as they the same router

1 Like

Really?
They look totally different
For a start the AX6000 has a load more ports
Why the change? Just supply or what?

If you look at the link below they are the same router

Or do you mean this one tp-link archer AX6000? as this one not supplied

yes that one
I have seen one for sale and was wondering if that could be used
And if so, how please?
Thanks

1 Like

It should be fine to use. I haven’t tried setting up my own yet so I’m not 100% sure. I think there is something similar in the guides section

1 Like

Any router that supports VLAN tagging on WAN will work, that includes custom builds running OpenWRT/DDWRT, OPNSense, Untangle etc. and routers from the likes of TP-Link, the GL.inet Flint2 (runs OWRT), Unifi UDM Pro/SE and many Asus routers, though I really wouldn’t give ASUS a penny given the choice. Unless you have a specific need, the £99 EX820v is a reasonable choice and for £99 from Yayzi, hard to beat for value. It is an AX6000 router, which is the wifi standard it uses. Other options are available, it just depends on what you actually need/want.

1 Like

It wasnt so much a case of what I need/want as such, more the fact that I have the chance of the TP version at a good price, close to Yayzi £99, difference being is that I would own it, not renting it.
That was all really. Oh and perhaps TP’s wifi coverage might better the Huawei perhaps?

To be honest the supplied router by Yayzi is amazing wifi wise I get speeds of roughly 600-700 on ipad and 1100-1200 on iPhone 15 pro.

1 Like

Yayzi will waive the £99 if you are using your own hardware, so it’s certainly worth considering. If I were going that route and didn’t want to spend a lot, the supplied EX820v is hard to argue with for £99. Other TPLink retail offerings will be equally good, just make sure it’s a 2.5Gb WAN & LAN capable router as some brands launched 2.5Gb WAN routers and then just expected you to use gigabit LAN ports in LAG or share bandwidth between LAN and wifi to take advantage of the speed (TP Link AX55 Pro/AX72 Pro/Archer AX6000 for example). The Flint2 is great if you want to run the plethora of plugins available such as the excellent Add Guard Home to block adverts at a network level for example (can always use PiHole if you are that way inclined), high end the UDM Pro SE is actually starting to grow on me, but it’s not cheap and I would struggle to recommend it as nothing you’ve mentioned suggests you need one.

3 Likes

Once you get the router, it’s yours - you’re not renting it.

2 Likes

Oh I’m not saying their supplied router is poor or anything, just that I came across this chance today whilst browsing and wondered if it was worth getting.
If you had the choice between the EX820v or the Archer AX6000, which would you choose and why please?

1 Like

@Keeop so if I left that would be mine to keep, or do you then have to return it?

@supershaun i’m getting 950 on average with Virgin ATM

Yeah, that’s why your paying the £99. Pay that and get the router or don’t pay and get your own.

1 Like

So just to clarify a couple of things, if you pay the £99 the router is yours. You’re not renting any hardware :slightly_smiling_face:

The reason we chose that specific router is, it’s cost effective for customers, but it also has what we feel is a very, very crucial element of the 2.5Gbps LAN so you can take full advantage of the speeds (if you’re looking at buying another router, you may find a lot of them don’t come with a 2.5Gbps LAN only WAN)

I honestly (happy to be proven wrong) don’t believe you’d find a router with the capabilities of the EX820v for cheaper :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Forgot to mention the Archer AX6000 only has a 2.5Gbps WAN. So you won’t be able to do anything with it (wired at least)

2 Likes

@Yayzi_Team I wasn’t knocking the router chosen. It literally was that I was looking around, learning about fibre etc and came across this TP for sale and wondered how it stood up against the supplied router.

I know you wasn’t :slightly_smiling_face: we know how important having that 2.5Gbps LAN is for a lot of our customers, but we also encourage people to use their own set ups :smile:

2 Likes

I intend to, can’t wait to get my build started as well.
Really looking forward to tyhe end iof next month now, lol
Not often someone of my age says that!