Steam download speed

Yes I will give this a try shortly and update

1 Like

@Dziros See picture below. I haven’t got a clue what anything means

UPDATED

Screenshot 2024-06-11 183316

2 Likes

Ops, we’ve got some small results (it doesn’t say if it’s in Mega Bytes or Bits), but you’ve downloaded some retro version.

1 Like

I have updated image above

1 Like

To me it doesn’t look like your hard drive might be or become an issue and rather it corresponds to your workload in task manager.

Your hard drive results are in Mega Bytes/s

Your internet speed is 2.3Gbps, which according to Bandwidth Calculator is around 287.5 Megabytes/s (MB)

Your computer would have to work constantly on the smallest possible files 4KiloBytes and write to random locations to get the performance down to 385MB/S, which is still more than your internet can get you (287MB/S).

In sequential write test of 1 Mega Byte file, you get 1337MB/S !

I would rather focus on CPU which may lead to also changing the motherboard + RAM from DDR4 to DDR5. However if you are changing already so many devices, why not changing more if you’ve got the funds. Then you could focus on secondary priorities like HDD, power supply, video card, etc.

Thanks for fast reply. I will have to put this on back burner for now until my son has got some pocket money saved up😂

2 Likes

Yikes! I’ve not kept up with processor prices the latest i9-14900k £559 ISH I could be saving a while let alone your son lol

1 Like

He usually is spoilt off grandparents etc for his birthday/christmas😂

1 Like

OMG Dziros completely derailing the thread by completely ignoring the info posted and going off on one about Units. Some people you just cannot teach :roll_eyes:

1 Like

supershaun, you drive can run above your internet speed but not for a sustained period. If your write size exceeds the buffer it will drop to 140 Megabytes a second or lower, which is obviously less than your max internet speed at 280 a second.

AMD is cheaper and better than Intel all things considered but lets not go down that rabbit hole :joy:

1 Like

The article you posted states after 67GB written speeds dropped. Overwatch 2 is 50GB in size. The math aint mathing.

If Shaun wants to hit full bandwidth on download it’ll be a new mobo + CPU + SSD if downloads are over 67GB.

2 Likes

@supershaun that crystal disk mark test is not your sustained write speed which is what you do when installing a game. It’s only using a 1 GB test file, unless your games are 1 GB or less that test result is useless. You need to increase the test file size and re-run the test. Dziros should of told you to do this but it’s ok they don’t know.

Where it says 1 GiB in the drop down menu at the top change that to 64 GiB then to just run the sequential tests (it’s quicker) click SEQ1M on the left. Watch it untill it completes then run it again straight away. That result will give you your true sustained write speed.

1 Like

Exactly, that 67 GB is also best case on an unused empty drive. If you’ve been using your drive for other stuff and/or it’s mostly full that high speed buffer will be smaller. It’s dynamic and needs idle time to replenish.

its showing as this now. Tried with 1 & 9 test count.Not sure if makes a difference

TEST COUNT 1

TEST COUNT 9

Test count is the number of passes, so it will do 9 reads and 9 writes and the results will be an average of those. There is idle time between each pass. I think the default is 5 seconds which may give the drive time to replenish performance depending on how agressive it is setup to do that. With lots of free space it can be more agressive. 5 passes is probably optimal. The important thing is to run the test twice back to back so the second set doesn’t contain any of the initial higher speed burst runs, then you end up with the worst case scenario.

2 back to back runs of 5 passes should be the most representative of sustained writes. You can already clearly see though that the drive will not run at marketed specs the whole time which is normal.

One thing I noticed when installing from steam as well is the write speed monitored in task manager was above the download speed. So not only do you need a drive that writes as fast as your internet speed it has to also be a bit faster because steam is installing the game at the same time too.

@Octo

see new results for Nvme as the read/write speeds are amazing but still only getting 1.2Gbps in steam. I now know the problem/limit is the CPU.

Thanks all for your comments and help. my son is already saving for new CPU/Motherboard when one comes out

3 Likes

That looks all good. Which drive did you go with?

AMD are launching new CPUs next month BTW, their worth checking out, the gaming focused x3D versions won’t be available at lauch but may be worth waiting for or you could drop something else in in the mean time. Worth keeping an eye on the news/reviews.

Personally I usually go with a step behind the latest though, it’s usually plenty fast enough but a lot cheaper.

Keep us updated when you upgrade.

It’s the Crucial T500 1TB

Thanks I will keep and eye out and updated

2 Likes

Thanks, looks like a solid choice. Definitely one bottleneck removed.

2 Likes

TBH, if you go down the rabbit hole of upgrades, it will never stop