Virgin Media vs Yayzi

How do you mean?

Internet protocol, OMCI for communication I’ve read, are they on about for management

Virgin Media appears to be offline in my area, thankfully only my parents are impacted as they won’t switch to CF/Yayzi

If I was to try and setup the same thing with a UDMP, what stick do I need to use? Do you have a photo? Is it easy to clone the MAC and Serial of the ONT? How/where do I do that? The UDMP interface?

1 Like

Would love an up to date photo, wanna see how much it pushes out from the UDM.

2 Likes

While I’ve been redecorating the box room & running an extra CAT6 socket, I’ve had access to the floorboards so I’ve also run an SC/APC fibre through my walls & ceiling and moved my ONT into the server room (cupboard under the stairs :sunglasses:)

Fingers crossed for an update from OP on their setup / choice of module :grin:

If it does end up being the one linked earlier in the thread, there’s a custom variant which allows MAC & Serial designation without needing to SSH in and set them :eyes: #LazyMode

Just not sure it’ll run at 2.5gbps on my UDM-SE’s SFP+ WAN port :thinking:

Don’t think OP is actually using the FS.com Module as there has been so many people who can’t get it to work (without being dropped/blacklisted from the network) so very very unlikely it all of a sudden works for one person.

You can buy one to test then if it doesn’t work just return it. I’ve had great success with FS.com kit before if that helps

2 Likes

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

I’ve read some of the reviews and there’s mixed reports of it working on a multigig connection in tandem with a UDM :sparkles:

But equally unifi community posts have pointed towards the SFP cages on the UDM being either 1 or 10G. No in-between :see_no_evil:

2.5gb does work on the UDM but think it marks it as 10gb. But like I say I don’t see any proof that OP is using it. A lot of people have tried and failed either due to being dropped/bared from CityFibre.

2 Likes

Why would it damage their network? or do they just not want the head ache of supporting a direct connection?

Less management possibility, potential to break the fibre I guess.

1 Like

I would think the same, carriers don’t like you messing about connecting to their network as @WhyAydan said

1 Like

It’s also probs about the support as well tbh. They own and are responsible for everything to/from and including the modem/ONT. If you remove the modem then technically it would void the support contract/warranty. Even extending the fibre without them doing it would be a breach of this contract/warranty as they can’t verify/guarantee the work. But who knows tbh maybe @Yayzi_Team can confirm?

1 Like

Its just a demarcation point.
The same as BT 21CN boxes in business.
The same as Virgin residential and business only allowing their routers to act in modem mode, superhub and the hitron units

They’ll support up to that point with their supplied equipment, otherwise it turns into the wild west and they’ll quickly lose control from a support/security point of view with millions of customers running different kit. Becomes an impossible challenge.

1 Like

That’s very true, standardise the hardware to support

1 Like

That’s why I queried it initially, whichever carrier we use at work, we have dark fibre and virgin and BT, they all connect an NTE to mark their ends and where yours start.

1 Like

Do you have a link to anywhere which shows this? :grin: (I ask from a place of really wanting this to work without being the guinea pig myself :laughing:)

That’s fair, we’ve not seen updated photos, etc. yet.

Ooo interesting :popcorn: I’ve not found posts about this on the yayzi forum, is there someone else with similar discussions? I’d love to check them out and see what sorta hurdles people are facing

In theory GPON is GPON. As long as ‘insert_module_here’ matches the power (dB) on the send/receive side of the optics it shouldn’t cause damage. But if overpowered/out of spec GPON modules are a thing then using one could easily wreak havoc on the various optical splitters & OLTs :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Other than a purely cosmetic standpoint ( less cables and not having to use a plug socket for the ONT) there is very little to be gained. Its not going to increase throughput or decrease latency. The Calix’s are decent units, and believe provide management and telemetry.

A very grey area is if you cause disruption for potentially up to 32 of your neighbours on the same pon, are you liable? I’ve not seen anything official anywhere from CF to say it’s not allowed. But I also wouldnt want to go up against CF’s legal team if it were to cause disruption.

Without seeing something official from CF to say yes go ahead and use an SFP ONU - heres a compatible list, then personally the potential cons outweigh the pros - but each to their own.

I’ll wait for the ISPreview news article of the user who took down their street for a couple of days :sweat_smile: :popcorn:

2 Likes

I don’t, but I’m 99% sure because I’ve used an SFP+ 2.5Gb Ethernet module and it worked fine.

Take a look at places like Reddit a fair few people have said they get blocked from the network.

As per @Lee it’s a very dangerous area to be poking around in. Especially if the modules are over powered and burn the POP. Although they might have attenuators on the POP side. But this again is speculation :slight_smile:

I can already picture it:
Marcus: Plugs in the stick, plugs in the fibre.
Neighbours: WTF WHERES MY INTERNET GONE

But if you really really wanna try it then the FS.com one I mentioned before is the best bet for you as you can return it without problems if it doesn’t work. Or you can try a Nokia one, but I won’t go into these as they need to be flashed with openwrt.

1 Like