IP Geolocation Issues (Please Read)

I have done a PR lets hope they approve it.

Okay thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s annoying that ebay still thinks I’m in America.
The delivery info defaults to zip code 20037 which is:
Washington DC

Latitude: 38.89797° N
Longitude: -77.05609° W

Oh look there are Post Office Locations near me NOT:

22ND STREET USPS (0.23 miles away)
WARD PLACE CARRIER ANNEX USPS (0.26 miles away)
WATERGATE USPS (0.38 miles away

Virgin had so many Ip ranges they had my location down to roughly 2 miles away in Glasgow. But I’m ok with geolcation saying I’m swimming along the Thames as long as I don’t swallow the brown water. 400 miles from me versus 5000 miles.

Are we sure Maxmind isn’t getting updated as I think splunk> uses that ?

MaxMind has been updated. But I think the issue is people only pull MaxMind every month or so.

1 Like

Hey,

That is good news. We are usually on top of location accuracy issues.

Don’t suppose you can say which major services use your DB?

I can only mention the companies you see on our webpage.

Going beyond that, I would say a good majority of cybersecurity professionals, network engineers and sysadmins are using our API.

It would be nice to make deals with some British streaming services. That would decrease the geo IP complaints you receive from your clients, as these services, from what I found, tend to not have accurate data. Hopefully, we will get those deals, and these IP location-related issues will be non-existent.

The positive side is if you see any good deals for streaming services from America? :slightly_smiling_face: You can currently buy them :+1:

1 Like

Whops, I forgot to get 149.18.86.1 fixed. This has now been done at IPBase

Channel4 are being awkward, GeoGuard have confirmed they see no issues.

1 Like

Not sure if there has been an update but the below sites are not working for me

4od - says I’m outside of UK
British Gas - site wont load
Utility Wearhouse - site wont load

my Ip is on range: 149.18.87.**

just to test a few sites Hulu thinks I’m in New jersey and a few other sites mainly us news site seem to suggest New jersey too so defiantly a issue in one of the databases.

Apart from 4od I’m not really bothered about the others

See above…:+1:

1 Like

4OD is now working again!

1 Like

Really? The app version?

Yep.

Strange which range are you referring to?

^^

I’m in the same range and can’t

Just out of interest I tried the british gas site (not that I am a customer) but I get:

ad.doubleclick.net

I have Malwarebytes blocking all the Ads/Trackers, Malware & Scams but it is very unusual to get a client side block on a large corporate web site.

Not sure what to conclude from that, other than it might not just be a geolocation issue.

1 Like

I do run ad guard on my network but even with it disabled British gas wont load but using mobile as a hotspot it loads fine so definitely a British gas/Yayzi issue but I’m confident it will be sorted in time.

Right, time for me to contact BritishGas!

1 Like

The British Gas home page is a nightmare.

What I find interesting is that switching to Zen and using the same Browser (Chrome) the page loads, albeit slowly.

It is pulling in (& executing code from numerous domains) and abusing cookies. It hits all of these domains and Chrome console logs numerous errors and bad practice.

I suspect one or more of the above is getting blocked via CF/Yayzi due to Geolocation. F12 / Dev Tools from the browser is quite an eye-opener.

1 Like

Thank you for the information @WhyAydan this may be helpful to you

God damn son

1 Like